Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Beautiful Ugliness of Disrupt

     Last night was the first time in years that I began to work the graveyard shift.  It isn't pretty to have to report to work on a Sunday night to start a six day work week, but that's what life has handed me currently.  I shouldn't hate it too much after all, since I was the one to make the decision.
     Many of my friends, family and coworkers have asked me why I decided to make such a horrendous change in my process of conducting my very own nine to five, and I shrugged them off many different reasons for it.  It was time for a change.  I could use the extra shift premium.  I would get to see my daughter after school during the week now.  I wanted my Friday nights back.  At the same time, I also brought up the reasons why I shouldn't change my schedule.  I would be doing something completely different.  I've been on the same job on the same shift for three straight years now, and I was extremely good at what I did.  I have a good friend right across from me that I could always talk to about everything.  A new job on a new shift would not only upset my internal clock, but it would also make all the muscles in my body extremely sore.  Lastly, I was comfortable where I was.
     Of all the reasons for and against this shift in my schedule  (no pun intended), the first reason for it and the last reason against it are the two that stick out more than anything.  To be comfortable in today's society should practically be outlawed.  If you are happy with your station in life, something is wrong, because all of us should continue to stride further forward in life, trying each day to be a stronger and better person than the previous one.  I'm not saying you shouldn't be happy, but I am saying that a movement toward continuous improvement will always help to make you even more successful and better feeling than you already were.
     My time had come to get myself good and uncomfortable.  Otherwise, I would just continue to sit on that same job on the afternoon shift and watch the rest of my life rot away.  Looking at it from that perspective, I might as well have put a pistol in my mouth and gotten the rest of my life over with.  I always tell people that I know that the more you stop experiencing things in life, the more you stop living at that point and just start dying slowly.  That's what all this is about.  I don't want to spend the rest of my days rotting away on a factory floor.  I was meant for more than that.  I perceive myself to be better than that.  The more uncomfortable I make myself with my day to day operations, the harder I try to be a better person.  That's the beauty of discomfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment